Tang Law is pleased to hear of the Australian Government’s continued recognition of skilled migrants with 109,0000 places available to eligible skilled applicants under the 2022-2033 Migration Program. This will provide further visa options and permanent residency pathways for skilled workers.

A notable few of the new measures commencing 1 July 2022 include:


1. Pathway to Permanent Residency

Permanent residence arrangements will extend to existing Subclass 457 and Subclass 482 visa holders in the short-term stream under the Subclass 186 Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS), Temporary Residence Transition (TRT) stream. Certain eligibility requirements apply:

  • You must have been in Australia for at least one year between 1 Feb 2020 to 14 Dec 2021; and
  • Meet all other nomination and visa criteria for the TRT stream of the ENS visa

Exemptions are available for Subclass 457 visa holders who no longer meet the age requirements and for Subclass 482 visa holders who are unable to apply for third short-term TSS visa in Australia.

This permanent residency pathway will only be in place for up to 2 years from 1 July 2022.


2. Working Holiday Visas  

There will be a 30% increase to the number of places available to first working holiday makers from certain countries via the Subclass 462 visa, and access to the program has been now extended to Switzerland, Brazil and Mongolia.

Applicants must meet all visa criteria including age limit requirements of being 18 and 30 years.


3. WA Graduate Occupation List

On 26 May 2022, the WA Government announced that as part of its Reconnect WA Strategy to attract skilled migrants, 194 occupations will be added to the State’s Graduate Occupation List under the 2022-2023 Migration Program.

This brings the list to an expanded selection of 331 occupations for prospective international students and skilled workers.  A few of the new additions to the list include:

  • Driving instructor
  • Cook
  • Welfare worker
  • Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioner
  • Systems analyst or administrator
  • Teachers – special education, special needs, or middle school
  • Farmers – poultry, deer, or pig



If you would like advice on your immigration options to study, work and live in WA, give us a call today at (08) 9328 7525 to book in a consultation with one of our experienced migration lawyers. We will you help find the best pathway for your migration journey to Australia.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *